Moving Check List
Two to Four Weeks
One to Two Weeks
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box. Use wardrobe boxes to make closets easier to pack. Clothes in drawers can be placed in suitcases.
- Use only small boxes for books. They get very heavy, very fast. Remember: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
- Never use printed newsprint to wrap items. Always stack dishes upwards when packing.
- Pack important and sentimental documents separately to be easily accessible including: children's health records, passports, family records, insurance information and photo albums.
- Don't pack with food or supermarket boxes. You never know what little critter is hiding - or if the box will be strong enough to support your possessions.
- Never use duct tape use packing tape. Clearly label all boxes on top and side.
- As you take apart furniture and other items make sure to tape all parts to the main base.
- Try to pack all electronic equipment, like stereos in their original boxes. Otherwise use packing paper when packing these items.
- Start packing items you will not need ahead of time.
- Always tape boxes. Don't interlock the tops. Don't use boxes without tops. No tops make it impossible to stack properly in the truck.